We can, and it would be a pretty messy place! When you’re looking for the best bookcase, you should think about storing more than books and about how you can restore order to a busy room with one inexpensive and long-lasting unit. We’ll launch directly into our best bookcase reviews then we’ll give you a few pointers to simplify your buying decision.
5 Best Bookcase Reviews
We’ll get directly down to business with our reviews. After presenting 5 of the best choices on the market for your home and garden, we’ll walk you through how to focus on getting the most appropriate tool for your needs.
First up in our best bookcase reviews, we’ve got a striking modernist cube arrangement from Kings Brand Furniture. This comes in at an extremely keen price point for a design-driven bookcase.
- Assembly is minimal, and you’ll be up and running in no more than a half-hour
- Open design lets you see what you need at a glance
- Commanding enough for a stark, modernist room while also capable of slotting into a more traditional room
- 43 x 11 x 62 inches, giving you ample storage space in the living room
- Pretty impressive price/performance ratio
- Open-fronted design attracts more dust in
Everyone’s got different needs when it comes to finding the best bookcase, and with money so tight these days, who doesn’t want a bargain? Next up in our best bookcase reviews is a pocket-friendly particleboard unit with three shelves from Ameriwood Basics that really can’t be beaten on price. But is it any good? In a word, yes. Bookcases perform a very basic core function, and there’s not much to differentiate them. When you think of it like that, why pay so much more for one when you can pick up something like the Ameriwood Basics? For example, with power tools, the more you play, the more functionality and performance you can expect. With something designed to hold books and ornaments, you’ll get the same but different. Price aside – and few bookcases can compete on this angle – you’ll get a spacious and customizable set of shelving in a broad spread of colors in laminated particleboard built to stay the distance. What’s not to like?
- Incredible value for money considering the build quality
- The classic, clean design makes this bookcase ideal for any room
- Laminated in a variety of finishes so something for everyone
- Three large, open shelves, 2 of which are adjustable, make this bookcase a very flexible storage solution
- It works well with a full range of furniture, so mix and match if you need to kit your house out on a budget while still ensuring it looks great
- Some reported issues with quality control, so make sure you check your parcel carefully on arrival.
Sauder has a hard-won reputation for producing understated and functional furniture on a budget. Next up in our best bookcase reviews is this 2-shelf finished in a rich cherry, instantly giving a look of gravitas to this small but expansive unit. If you’re looking to buy a cheap bookcase, it’s not likely to last for decades. This Sauder will at least give you a decent run for your money, though. The sustainable, engineered wood means you’ll do as much good for the environment as for your bank balance. Finished in cherry, the classic and straightforward design will slot neatly into just about any room. If you’ve got a fair amount of clutter and you’re looking for an affordable yet attractive way to keep it organized, think seriously about investing in this 2-shelf bookcase.
- Stripped-down design in a luxe cherry finish for a touch of class
- Engineered wood so you can also do your part for the environment while making your lounge look great
- Single adjustable shelf so fine-tune to your needs
- Plenty of extra storage space on the top, so ideal even for a larger living room
- Excellent value for money without compromising quality
- Relatively underwhelming build so be realistic about your expectations
- Mobile and space-saving storage solution
- Eight shelves in total, giving you a generous amount of room
- MDF and metal frame for maximum durability
- Complement with a TV rack or book rack to build out even more matching storage
- Works well as a makeshift standing desk if you enjoy spending the occasional hour working on your feet
- A number of complaints about poorly-engineered components
- Weathered, antique finish that works wonders as a statement piece whatever your decor
- Rock-solid tubing gives this unit real strength.
- Available with 2, 3, 4, or 5 shelves giving you total flexibility
- Storage space maximized with all your books and ornaments on view from all angles
- You’ll be covered by a 1-year limited warranty with returns during the first month, removing any sting from the purchase
- Several complaints about poorly-engineered components
With our best bookcase reviews put to bed, it’s time for a few simple pointers to streamline your buying decision and help you end up with the right storage for you the easy way.
What To Look For In The Best Bookcase
Type of Best Bookcase
While you can get the Best Bookcase in just about all shapes and sizes, here are 3 of the main configurations you’ll run into on the buying trail…
- Shelf Bookcase: This classic bookcase is either stand-alone or comes in a stackable form. You can find these with or without doors. If you plan to load all the shelves with really heavy hardbacks, you might want to think again, or the shelves could end up sagging in the middle if you go OTT. But, for organizing clutter, a shelf bookcase is tough to beat.
- Ladder Bookcase: These slim and space-saving bookcases work brilliantly in tight spots where you might otherwise have to go without shelving. The shelves go from deep at the bottom through shallower at the top to look like a leaning ladder. Ladder bookcases work well with most decor for a mixture of design and utilitarianism.
- Open Bookcase: If you have a smaller room, this type of bookcase creates the illusion of more space. You’ll also be able to see your favorite book at a glance without needing to rummage behind closed doors.
Wood is by far and away the most common material used for bookcases, and you’ll find units in just about every type you can imagine catering to all tastes and budgets. Open bookcases featuring glass make a great fit in small rooms, while you can brighten up darker rooms with a lighter finish. Metal adds strength and rigidity along with a healthy dose of utilitarianism. Think about how you want your bookcase to look without neglecting durability.
Size for Best Bookcase
Most bookcases have the design pretty much on-point. As a general guideline, avoid any bookcases where the top shelf is higher than 80 inches unless you’re particularly tall. Bigger is not necessarily better. Think about your intended usage. For example, it’s no sense going for a bookcase with the longest shelves you can find, only for them to bow under a heavy load. Also, make certain the bookcase you’re considering will fit comfortably in the room you have in mind.
Much like material, the issue of color is subjective to a large degree. Dark shelving imparts a certain gravitas, while paler colors can pep up gloomy surroundings. If you’re putting bookcases in your kids’ rooms, why not inject a dose of color to keep things fun? They’re only young once!
Bookcases come with fixed or adjustable shelves, so think about which would work best. Shelves can be open or closed, and you should look for reinforcement if you intend to pop anything heavier on the bookcase.
The average bookshelf is somewhere from 10 to 12 inches deep. As with every element of your buying decision, take the time to think closely about what you’ll put on your bookcase. You can then choose accordingly depending on whether you need to house vinyl records, hardback books, or lighter ornaments.
A Final Word
With any luck, you’ve now got the best bookcase firmly in your sights. Kiss goodbye to a messy space full of paperwork and say hello to the organization! Come back soon for more handy guidance on all aspects of your home and garden.